The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is the main Catholic worship building in Volterra. It was built in the 9th century, and subsequently rebuilt after the violent earthquake of 1117 and later extended in the mid-13th century.
In November 1957, Pope Pius XII made it a smaller basilica, and today it attracts many tourists for its beauty and uniqueness.
The baptistery of San Giovanni is a building with octagonal plant dating back to the 13th century and located in the historic center of Volterra, opposite the cathedral.
Its interior is moved by six niches and covered by a dome with many artworks including the baptismal font of Giovanni Vaccà.
After the entrance on the right there is an Etruscan sepulchral in marble that was turned and excavated to transform it into a water tank.
Palazzo dei Priori
Palazzo dei Priori is the oldest Tuscan municipal building, built by Master Riccardo da Como in 1208.
The first name of the building was Domus Communis (City Hall) and was used by the Seniors as residence. In 1283, the original twenty-four Seniors became the Priories of the People, to which the palace owes its present name.
The interior of the Palazzo dei Priori is full of works of art dating back to the eighteenth century following the earthquake of 1846.
The Medicean Fortress was built on the highest hill of the city of Volterra in 1342 and modified by Lorenzo the Magnificent between 1472 and 1474.
Today, the structure is used as a state prison and it’s only partially accessible, and only few days.
The structure is made up of two rocks, the old one with the function of protecting the city and the new one, built Lorenzo the Magnificent himself, to control the city.
The Etruscan Acropolis
Many worship buildings and service environments dating VI century. B.C have been discovered, such as warehouses and religious houses that have been brought to light by archaeological excavations.
We can also find the remains of a system of stone cisterns that collected water from the roofs to be used in case of drought.
In the western area of the city there is a building, dating II sec. B.C., where a richly colored fresco was discovered: green, red, black, yellow, white, raspberry.
The Roman Theater was built between the 1st century BC. and 13 A.D. and its construction was financed by the Caecinas, a rich Volterra family.
The monument was excavated in the natural slope for a total capacity of about 3500 viewers.
The front was 36 meters long with two floors for a total height of over 16 meters.
At the end of the third century the theater was abandoned due to lack of use, and a spa was installed in the vicinity.